What is a virtual tour and how does it work?
Virtual tours are a way for students to explore different places around the world without having to leave their home or classroom.
Virtual tours give students the opportunity to explore and learn at their own pace. While they are exploring, they are able to get closer to nature or artifacts that would not be easily accessible.
Virtual tours can be many different things, including:
- A video
- A live webcam of a zoo or animal habitat
- A 360 degree view of a location you can manipulate
- Pictures enriched with helpful information and diagrams
Technology powering virtual field trips for students
Even ten or fifteen years ago, it would have been rare or impossible to find video tours. Nowadays, people can learn and explore from anywhere, thanks to advances in technology and education!
- National Geographic creates TV series about nature, history and archaeology
- Food shows like Netflix’s Salt Fat Acid Heat take viewers on food journeys across the world
- Planet Earth, a television series, brings far-flung locations to your living room or classroom
- Discovery Education gives educators access to multimedia resources that supplement classroom learning
- Video conferencing technology like Zoom lets you connect with people and learning experiences around the world
We appreciate the convenience of being able to learn about different foods, cultures and geography from the comfort of our homes or classrooms. Why not introduce that to your students?
This list of online field trips for middle school science is perfect for keeping your students engaged while teaching science at home.
As science progresses, it is essential that older children explore many different areas of science.
Here is a list of science field trips that will keep your tween busy.
SCIENCE VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS
Online learning gives older kids the chance to study topics they’re interested in more closely.